Click on the links above and below for more information about Canada’s 16th UNESCO Biosphere!
- The Annual General Meeting of the BLBRA was held on June 16th at the Bonnie Brae Senior Citizens Club in St. Peter’s. It coincided with the annual St. Peter’s Seaside Lobsterfest. There was a short AGM business meeting at 7 p.m. followed by a meeting of the new 2016-2017 Board of Directors. We said a huge “Thank You” to Kata Seufert and Teresa MacNeil who are leaving the Board at this time and a warm welcome to Eileen Crosby, Candace Christiano, Stan Johnson and Paul MacNeil as new Board members. The 20 member Board elected a slate of Officers. They are: Bruce Hatcher, Chair; Jim MacDonald, Secretary; Don Crosby, Treasurer and Jim Foulds as Past Chair. The evening was capped off by a Biosphere “Significa” contest where members were quizzed on natural history features of the Biosphere. It was a fun evening with lots of prizes.
- NEWS …2 new Biosphere regions in Canada! Check out the new map!
- Canadian Biosphere Reserves reach out to the Federal government – Read the letter to Minister McKenna HERE.
- The Biosphere Reserve Association is now a Registered Charity with the Canada Revenue Agency. Now your donation helps our volunteers carry out a wide range of projects and gives you a tax receipt for donating to a charity!
- Read our SPRING_2016_UPDATE of activities.
- Citizen Based Monitoring: Bras d’Or Watch 2016 is coming soon!
- Walking Trail around the Biosphere: Click on the Walking Trail logo to get the latest information!
- Click this link to view a new video from UNESCO that helps explain what Biosphere Reserves are all about. The first line of dialogue is important to appreciate…”Biosphere reserves are not about nature conservation – they are about people.”
- Biosphere Atlas – updated! Check out the Biosphere Atlas by clicking on the map below or the image of Cape Breton over there – on the right side of this screen! The Atlas has recently been updated with more information about people and places in the Bras d’Or Biosphere. Make sure you let is know [at firstname.lastname@example.org] if you want to add anything!
Have you seen any exciting sites or trails within the Biosphere? Grab your GPS and Click this link to add your own information.